What to Know
ALL STUDENTS enrolling or attending classes for the first time-Puppy, Basic Manners, etc.
CHECK IN: We will be greeting you as you enter the building. Please show a copy of your vet records, most importantly Rabies vaccine. If your puppy is too young to have the rabies vaccination yet, proof of current vaccinations FROM A VET are required at this time. Papers just from the breeder are NOT acceptable; your puppy needs to be seen by a vet before starting classes. You will be asked to update the Rabies status when the vaccination is given. Please also bring identification for your puppy/dog ON his/her collar, as well as an empty poop bag, in case of accidents.
All dogs and owners must observe social distancing recommendations of 6′ or more. This means that everyone must stay at least 6 feet away from every other dog. PLEASE BE AWARE of your dog’s location at all times.
- Please arrive on time and expect that a class may be beginning or ending just before or after your class time.
- Intact male dogs over 8 months of age are not permitted to participate in any classes unless they have been evaluated by the instructor. Please watch ALL male dogs to prevent MARKING in the building. Repeat offenders may be charged a janitorial fee, or asked to sit out.
- Do not bring female dogs in heat to any classes. You, as the owner, should still attend though. Female dogs wearing ‘garments’ to cover them in heat are not permitted either.
- Family members are welcome and encouraged to attend. However, there are no babysitting services available. Children under the age of 14 are not considered to be eligible to participate as a primary handler in class, unless prior approval is given. Please tell your children they are NOT permitted to pet other dogs in class unless permission is given to do so: not all dogs are comfortable with children, and we want to keep everyone safe & happy.
- We will take a break at the halfway point. You should bring clean-up bags with you, and you may deposit dog waste in the dumpster located out front. Water bowls are available outside during warmer months and in designated areas other times of the year. Please use the designated potty area for dogs – DO NOT go over towards our neighbors at the Chinese Restaurant.
- Please do not allow your dogs to sit on the new furniture.
- Please do not allow your dog to climb on any of the agility training equipment unless they are participating in a class for that equipment.
- Family Dog Obedience is a NON-SMOKING FACILITY.
What to Bring
PUPPY CLASS – COLLARS. It is NOT necessary for you to run out to buy a collar before class begins. We will review different collar types as your puppies grow, and I will help you make a good choice of a collar depending on your particular puppy. In some cases, a harness may be a good choice for some small breeds of dogs. We will discuss this option after we meet in class. Please be sure your puppy is wearing an appropriately SIZED collar for class that your puppy can not/will not slip out of. PUPPY CLASS – LEASHES. Your dog should be on a 4’ or 6’ (preferably leather) leash (NO retractable leashes) Nylon and/or rope leashes are fine, but you will discover that those types of materials will hurt your hands.
BASIC MANNERS STUDENTS – COLLARS & LEASHES. Your dog should be on a 4’ or 6’ (preferably leather) leash (NO RETRACTABLE LEASHES), wearing an appropriate “training collar” – ie.: Gentle Leader, Martingale collar, choke collar, pinch collar, or EZ walk harness (ADULT DOGS – NO Harnesses with attachment point on the back). We will review different collars during the first class but the Gentle Leader is the “preferred” training collar for MOST (but not all) dogs to start with in BASIC MANNERS CLASS.
VACCINATION RECORDS – Vaccinations are required for Complete Puppy, and may be requested for other levels of classes. If you can bring a copy for me to see, that is all I will need. I do not need to keep them. I mainly need to see the RABIES vaccination.
TREATS – Please bring a variety (VARIETY = three or more types of treats/tastes) of small-pieced treats (diced hot dog & string cheese mixed with dog food kibble work great!) to use for the training. A fanny pack, carpenter apron, or “bait bag” is requested.
Plastic bags carrying treats will not be permitted after the first week of class. (Bait bags are available to purchase for $12-$18 at the training center if you need one.) Please do NOT feed your dog a full-sized meal prior to your class.
What to Wear (or What NOT to Wear)
- Please wear Gym-type shoes. No open-toed, open-heeled sandals, flip flops, or high-heeled type shoes/boots will be permitted. If proper footwear is not worn, you will NOT be permitted to do class, and you can not take class in bare feet. This applies to any family members that are attending classes, including children. This is a safety concern for all, so please be prepared.
- Scarves or items hanging down into the dog’s face will be asked to be removed while training.
Register for one of our classes!
See a class you like? Download our registration form to sign up!
If you've taken one of our classes before, use our express registration form.